Thursday, February 28, 2008

Homeschooling Toward College

I am a member of a Yahoo Group for homeschoolers. My reason for joining the group was to let homeschoolers in the area know that I am available as a tutor. Tonight I got an e-mail from another member asking my advice. I was homeschooled from First Grade through High School, and it was an incredible experience for me. I thought I would post her request and my response for those homeschooling, for those considering homeschool, and as a tribute to my loving and sacrificial parents. Please note that this letter is concerning homeschool in relation to college, and does not cover many of the other valuable aspects. I may post more at another time with my thoughts on those.

Dear Jennie,
I am seriously praying about homeschooling my 3 children in the fall. My oldest daughter will be in the fourth grade. She attends a public school and is an overall good child...well- behaved (at school) :) and has straight A's. She has expressed concern about being homeschooled because she is fearful she will then not get into a good college. Do you have any advice for her and me?
Thank You in advance,
Betty

Hi Betty!

I am so thrilled to hear that you are praying about homeschooling your children. I am excited whenever I hear that someone is thinking about taking that step. Homeschooling was absolutely wonderful for me. My Mom was an incredible teacher, and I learned so much more from the one-on-one teaching than I could have ever learned in a school system.

When I was 15, my standardized test scores were high, and I sat with my Mom to look at the plan for the next several years of high school. We realized the the NC requirements for a high school graduate were easily attainable for me. We made a schedule together, and I was able to graduate at 16 years old.

I wanted to find a college nearby since I was so young, so I chose Southeastern College (a branch of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC). It was the only school to which I applied, and I was accepted immediately BECAUSE I came from a homeschooling background. I started college just after turning 17 (my birthday is in June), and it was a wonderful experience.

Homeschoolers are well-known to most Christian and secular educators for their exceptional abilities. It is no secret to them that most of the winners of the National Spelling Bee are homeschoolers. We score higher on state standardized tests than do those in public or private schools, and we generally have more confidence and respect for authority as well. When I was looking into colleges I found that most were actually RECRUITING homeschoolers because of their outstanding scholastic abilities (Liberty University is one example of that).

Also, most colleges require SAT scores for entrance, and homeschoolers should certainly take the SAT. If you and your daughter work hard as a team, her scores will be all the proof that any college would need of her readiness, even for those colleges that may not be recruiting homeschoolers.

The only complaint that I have ever heard about homeschoolers is that they are "socially inadequate." In most cases this idea is ridiculous. I have seen some homeschoolers that do not make any attempt to be social or to build people skills, and that results in the obvious: no people skills. But if you make sure that your daughter is involved with church and community, including adults and friends her own age, she will develop the skills needed to gain respect in the world. When she goes in for her college interviews, she will be more confident, respectful, and well-spoken than most of her public school peers.

If you have any further questions or concerns, I would be more than happy to help you! I am a strong advocate of homeschooling, and I am excited for anyone who would do such an incredible service for their children!

Sincerely,
Jennie Harrell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, Thank you! You just made my day! I know you weren't addressing this to me, but I was curious as to what practical advice I might gleam. Having someone put it into words that I am doing a service for my children by homeschooling them is very uplifting!
Thank you and have a blessed day!
Joanne