Thursday, January 24, 2008

Nothing Like a Bowl of Soup!

I have wonderful memories of being a little girl in cold weather! My parents had a working fireplace, and my Daddy would build a big fire and all of us would gather around. My Mom would spread out a big blanket and make hot chocolate for me and my two sisters (this was before my two youngest siblings were around). Daddy would sit nearby and read his Bible, a book, or the newspaper, and Mom would read aloud to us. It was a magical time for me. Everything was so cozy, and I loved having everone around me while I enjoyed hearing a great story (by the way, my Mom is the best ever at reading aloud!).

Another thing I remember about those cold days is Mom's soup. Whenever it was snowy outside, our house always smelled like delicious soup! Daddy would take us out to sled, build snowmen, and have snowball fights, and we would come back in to the yummy smells of the house! I am thankful to have grown up in a house so full of love. My parents are incredible, and they knew how to make every day special to me.

I have followed in the tradition of making soup when it is really cold, and I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you. It is so easy to make too!!

Potato, Brocolli, and Cheese Soup

INGREDIENTS
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons margarine
2 1/2 pounds peeled and cubed potatoes
5 cups boiling water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
3 cups fresh broccoli, cooked and drained
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a large stock pot saute onion in butter. Add potatoes, water and bouillon cubes. Cover, bring to boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove tough outer skin of broccoli stems and cook broccoli. Once cooked add to soup.
In a blender or food processor puree half of the soup and return to stock pot. Season with salt and pepper.
Add cheese and heat soup through until cheese is melted. Serve warm.

No comments: