Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Sweet Friend Brings a Sweet Treat!

I had some oral surgery on Monday. The procedure is called a "gingival graft," and it is where a Periodontist takes gum from the roof of your mouth and stitches it around teeth where the gum is receding. It was supposed to be a routine surgery, and I was planning to be back at work the next day. Well, that didn't happen. They surgery was terribly traumatic, I had to be "shot" 11 times with Novocaine (those needles are HUGE!!), and I cried through the majority of the procedure. I have not been back to work since Monday, and tomorrow is Friday. The recovery has been really painful and frustrating (bleeding, swelling, throwing up, swelling, bruising, swelling, pain, swelling, discomfort, swelling, etc.). Dustin has been so great... He has cleaned the house, driven to Wal-Mart numerous times, and he even brought me "get well" flowers! I am so thankful for such a sweet husband!

Earlier today my good friend Ashleigh called. Ashleigh and I went to church together in high school, and we were bridesmaids in each others' weddings. She is one of those friends that you can talk to after not chatting for months, and it feels like you just spoke yesterday. I was so happy when I found out that we would be moving to Kernersville because Ashleigh only lives five minutes away, and now I get to see her every week! Anyway, she called today to check on me, and to ask if there was anything she could do for me. What a great friend! I told her that I was doing fine, and that I was getting a little better each day.

I have not been able to eath anything this week except pudding, broth, jello, and yogurt. A few moments ago, just as I was day-dreaming about eating foods like cake, lasagna, nachos, pancakes (pretty much anything with more consistency than mud), I got another call from Ashleigh. She told me to go and look on my back porch. On the porch was a grocery bag with a box inside, and inside the box was DELICIOUSNESS ITSELF!

My sweet friend knows how much I love cookies, and she dropped off a mack-daddy of a cookie. I called her back and told her "thank you," and she said that she hoped I would be able to enjoy it. I told her that I WILL FIND A WAY!

I can only take tiny little bites (as you can see in the picture), I have to chew very slowly, and it may take me four hours to eat half of it, but I will enjoy it. What a great surprise, and a fun break from a lonely day.

Thank you Ashleigh!! You are a wonderful friend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry your recovery has been so difficult. It still hurts me when my children are hurting. You'll be better soon. You know I had that same surgery and I remember jogging home afterwards and cutting down some large trees in our backyard that afternoon. The next day the scar in the roof of my mouth was not even there and my teeth were somewhat whiter overnight. My, I remember eating that steak for breakfast the next day. I love you...

Lydia said...

Hey, girl! Long time no see!
I'll stay up tonight after the kids are in bed and read your blog and catch up on your life! I'm so glad that you and Dustin are so happy...and headed to the foreign mission field...WOW!! Sorry about your surgery and discomfort-yuck! Feel better soon!

Dustin and Jennie Harrell said...

Daddy, you are crazy! haha!