Friday, March 21, 2008

Jennie Got a Job!!

I am really excited that I will be joining the Kernersville team at:

After I decided against tutoring, I started looking for local banks who may be hiring. I found RBC Centura! They have a Kernersville branch that was looking for a part-time teller. I took my resume over right away, and they scheduled an interview for the following Tuesday.

The interview was WONDERFUL! The whole branch works like a family. I could tell that all of the employees were good friends, and that all of them worked together really well. I am really happy that it is such a small branch. The two women that interviewed me (the branch manager and the teller officer) were so sweet and professional. When they asked me why I was interested in becoming a teller, I told them the truth:

1. I want to have a job that provides flexibility so that I can focus on being a wife. This is my top priority. I was not sure what kind of reaction I would get to that. I kinda expected to get the typical "feminist response" that would question my reason for "lowering my possibilities." I did not get that at all! They told me that they were impressed, and they thought that was wonderful! I was thrilled.

2. I love people. I love getting to know them and remembering things about them. This was something that I really loved about Starbucks. I would remember customers' names and their drink orders, and try to remember things about them so I could start conversations with them. The RBC people loved that.

3. I like meeting people's needs, and making sure they get excellent service. This was one thing that I loved about being a supervisor at Target's Guest Service department. I loved to make sure that people were satisfied, and that their problems were resolved when they left the store. The RBC people also loved that!

They asked me alot of other questions, and God gave me the confidence and the words that I needed. I had one question for them. I needed to know if it would be okay for me to take time off to go on mission trips with my husband. They said that it would not be a problem, and that I should always know that at that branch "family comes first." They said that they are all married with children, and that if I ever had to make a decision regarding work and family, family should come first. I was blown away by their dedication to family! That is not something that most would expect from women who have climbed the corporate ladder. I felt really good about how the interview progressed, and when I left they told me that they would get back to me.

I got a call an hour later, and they wanted me to take the next step and fill out a background check. They said that they would be in touch to make an offer.

Yesterday (Thursday) I got the offer! They even gave me the salary that I requested! I am very excited. I will start on Monday, and I will be observing the branch and doing computer training for a week. The following week I will have to go to Raleigh for teller training. I am excited about staying with my parents for the week, but I will not enjoy being away from Dustin. The great thing is that I will be able to talk to him every day, and we will probably meet somewhere halfway in the middle of the week and have dinner. So this separation will not be nearly as difficult as was the time Dustin was in Ecuador. I only spoke to him once over the course of ten days, and he was halfway across the world!

There are alot of benefits to working at a bank. I will have a steady weekly schedule (Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 1 PM), and I will be off on the weekends. I will have excellent insurance, paid holidays off, and paid vacation time. One of the things I am really looking forward to is dressing up for work every day. I love to "dress professionally" and wear high heels. I always thought it would be really neat to dress up and go to work.

So thank you so much to those who prayed that God would provide a perfect job for me. I am really excited!

No comments: