Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary!!

Today is my parents' Wedding Anniversary!
In a world where everything is so self-focused and so temporal, it has become unusual for couples to stay married longer than six or seven years. The divorce rate in America (among Christians and non-Christians) is huge. So I want to take time to thank my parents for the commitment that they have made to God, and to each other.

I decided to post this letter because I want anyone who will read it to know what God has done.

Dear Daddy and Mom,

Thank you. I am already crying as I type this. The gratitude in my heart is overwhelming, and I have no real hope of truly expressing it to you. The two of you have influenced my life more than any other people on the face of this earth. I have thought so many times about the parents to whom I could have been born, and I shudder at the thought of any but you. God blessed me in a way that I do not deserve.

The greatest gift that you ever gave me was the presentation of the Gospel over and over again. I know that I am a Christian today because of your obedience to Christ in teaching your children about Him. God used you as instruments to draw me to Himself, and for that I am ETERNALLY grateful.

The second greatest gift that you ever gave me was the example that you set as husband and wife. Thank you for putting Christ first in your marriage. I entered my marriage with pre-conceived ideas of how things should be, how I should act, and what should be important, and many of those ideas were based on the relationship that I saw my parents portray. I watched you, and I saw things that I will never forget. Daddy, I will never forget how you loved Mom. I remember how you would look at her from across the table at family dinners and say, "Isn't Mom pretty?" Your three girls would giggle and say "Yes!" I remember how I would come downstairs sometime to find you hugging her in the kitchen. Of course I would yell "family hug!" and all of us would run to join in. I remember how you would tease her and make her laugh harder than anyone else ever could. I remember how you would tell her how good her dinners were, and how she would smile. I remember how you would stand up for her. When we were disrespectful to her you would say, "Hey! Don't talk to Mom that way." We knew that we should never mess with your woman. I remember how you would respect her by never calling her names, making rude comments, or threatening her in any way. You honored her as your wife. Most of all I remember how you would be her spiritual leader by setting the example of having time with God EVERY day, and by leading us in family devotions and prayers. Your example of how a godly husband should act is something I will never forget.
Mom, I will never forget how you loved Daddy. I remember how you would stare back at him from across the table and say "I love you" with your smile. I remember how you always welcomed him home from work by saying "Hey Honey!" I remember how you would always thank him for how hard he worked so that you could stay home with us. I remember how you would make his favorite meals and desserts, especially on his birthdays or on Father's Day. I remember how you would say to him "You look so handsome." You taught us about respect by always saying "What Daddy says goes," and by always consulting him before you made a big decision. I remember how you would sit back and admire his teachings, both at home and in church. I remember how you showed him your love by bringing dinner and iced tea to his chair when we didn't eat at the table. Most of all, I remember your submissiveness, and how you would say "okay" and quietly yield so that he could lead our family. Your example of how a godly wife should act is also something I will never forget.

I will never forget how the two of you loved all of us. You provided security for us. We knew that our parents loved each other deeply, and that they would never ever ever get divorced. That fear was never present in my thoughts as it was in some of my friends. You taught us the importance of having a relationship with Jesus by daily telling us about Him. You made sure that we always knew how much you loved us. Daddy, you would rub my back at night and say, "Are you still my Sweetie Pie?" Mom, you would hug me and tell me you were proud of me.

Daddy, you worked so hard so that Mom could stay home with us. And Mom, you worked so hard in the home. You made the even bigger sacrifice to homeschool us, which was a decision that greatly shaped my life and determined who I would become. You taught us a great work ethic by letting us save money to buy horses, build a barn, and run businesses. You taught us to work hard, to stay busy, and to always be grateful. You taught us how to be strong by setting Biblical standards for us, and by teaching us to hold to those standards, even if it meant "standing alone." You showed us what it meant to always obey God's calling on your life, even when it meant alot of changes, and even two more children for you! You taught me responsibility by letting me graduate early and go on to college. And you taught me how to choose a good husband, and how to be a good wife, by setting before me an example of a godly and happy marriage.

So thank you. Thank you for trying so hard, and thank you for succeeding. I am so honored to have been a "Dickens Girl." I am still watching you, only now from a distance, and I am still amazed. I love both of you so much.


Happy Anniversary...


Jennie

No comments: