Thursday, December 6, 2007

An Experience You Will Not Soon Forget

I was recently asked to name my favorite fiction book. I did not even have to think about it. I read Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers, a few years ago and I will never forget the impact it had on my life. It takes the story of Hosea (from the book of Hosea in the Bible) and develops it fictionally. For those who do not know, the original story is about a man whom God has called to marry a prostitute. This woman is about as close to unlovable as a person can get. Even when she is treated wonderfully by Hosea she leaves him numerous times and betrays him in a number of ways. Francine Rivers sets the same story in a different era and adds her unique touch, making you feel as though you are a PART of the story.


When I read this book the first time I was amazed at the experience of it. It is not just an enjoyable read-- it will change the way you see your life. It will make you realize anew the depth and intensity of God's love for His children, even though we are also unlovable. As I read it I found myself laughing, crying, sweating, aching inside, and rejoicing. You may be saying "well, Jennie is just a little emotional." That may be true (ahem...), but it truly does take alot for a book to bring those emotions to the surface. When I finally read the last chapter I felt completely drained... exhausted, guilty, thoughtful, but also ecstatic and thankful. I have never felt that way after just reading a book.


I would love for you to read this book and let me know what you think and how it affects you! Whether you are a man or a woman, Christian or not, you will find the story compelling, heart-wrenching, and exciting!


***WARNING*** Because of the basis of the story line described above (which, as I said, is completely Biblical), there are alot of very intense and stomach-turning parts in this book. I would not recommend it for children or teens unless a parent has read it first.

No comments: